Pinterest has published Pinterest Predicts 2023, the annual report on the most interesting trends for the following year.
The predictions are based on an indepth analysis of search results from over 400 million global users of the platform1, which enables identification of the most interesting ideas to keep an eye on. People use Pinterest to plan the future and find new ideas; by analysing their search data, the platform can gain a sneak peak of future trends in order to understand what will be successful before it actually achieves this status.
From beauty and fashion trends like “Gemini hair” (two-toned) and “Airy Styles” (ethereal outfits) to trends in household and ambience categories like “Hipstoric Home” (embracing vintage and contemporary) and “Rainscapes” (the precious resource of water), Pinterest has analysed the searches carried out by users of the platform to identify the trends that will probably emerge or continue to be popular in 2023.
Pinterest Predicts, now in its ninth edition, is a complete and exhaustive report outlining the future trends for 2023, information which cannot be found anywhere else. For the third year running, in fact, 8 out of 10 of the predictions made were correct2.
So, what’s in store in 2023? Here are some of the trends for next year in the interior design sector:
● Chance of Showers - In 2023, showers will beat baths hands down. The fact that searches have increased for "ideas for door-less showers" and "shower bombs" tells us one thing: it will be the irresistible sound of running water to pamper us during our morning or evening wash routine.
● Hipstoric homes - In 2023, that vintage item passed down from ancestors will finally find its place in your home. The interior design searches are all aimed at combining modern and antique furnishing to create eclectic ambiences.
● Home Front - Everyone is talking about interior design, but what about the exterior? Gen X and Boomers have no doubts: in 2023 they will be tackling small and large restyling projects for their home entrances, with furnishing and decoration of halls, porches and verandas.
● Mush-rooms - A wish for whimsy and creativity also permeates home decor. 2023 will bring even more searches for eccentric touches in the home such as “vintage decorations with mushrooms” and “surrealist bedroom”. Amazement is the key word!
● Rainscapes - Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed, everything is transformed. In 2023, theory becomes practice and an increasing number of homeowners with gardens will be interested in solutions for collecting rainwater, such as designer tanks and rain barrels.
1 Pinterest, global analysis, third quarter 2022
2 Pinterest, global search data, reference period: July 2018-June 2022.
3 Black Swan Data for Pinterest, trend analysis, United States and United Kingdom, June 2021Ph. Courtesy of Pinterest_Home